Tuesday, February 11, 2014

No more MSG!

So if you haven't already heard or seen, store-bought cream of chicken, mushroom, or pretty much cream of anything contains questionable ingredients.
Picture courtesy of www.foodfacts.com 

I don't know know about you, but I don't want at least half of these ingredients going in my body, and especially not my family's body! So, a while back, I decided to do a little research on my own, because I knew there had to be a way to make homemade cream of anything. Well, I did just THAT! And what I made was awesome! And it makes every recipe that you use a cream of soup in awesome! Here is the recipe that I use: 

Yield:
3 cups (about 2 cans)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chicken broth ( I use the broth  from chicken that I boiled or I make my own with "Orrington Farms" all natural chicken bouillon)
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp onion powder (or fresh, diced onions)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (or fresh, minced garlic)
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp parsley
Dash of paprika
1 1/2 cups fat free milk
3/4 cups flour

Instructions:
1. In a medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for a minute to two ( longer if using fresh onions or garlic)

2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.

*you can also add lemon pepper seasoning to give it a little more flavor

*you can make cream of mushroom by substituting beef broth for the chicken broth, adding fresh, sautéed mushrooms, or canned mushrooms, and by not adding the poultry seasoning.

If you have any questions, write in my comments section and I will answer your question ASAP!

http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Soups/Campbells-Cream-of-Chicken-Soup-0-oz/793

http://www.orringtonfarms.com/home-page/

No comments :

Post a Comment