Monday, February 3, 2014

From drab to fab

Okay, so I'm super excited about the blog post today! I'm going to be sharing with you about a table from the Salvation Army that went from drab to fab! 
Our local Salvation Army just moved to a newer and much bigger location. It's very nice. The other day, my daughter and I went out on our weekly junk shopping excursion, and I knew this would be the perfect place to go! I've been looking for a round pedestal-like table for quite a while, but just haven't been able to find the right one. Well, we walked into the store and I immediately saw IT! It was perfect! Well, at least in my mind it was perfect.  It was dark brown and looked as if a dog had gnawed and scratched on all the corners of it, but at least it was sturdy. All I could picture was turning it into this gorgeous, white side table with a tall plant and cloche sitting on it! I got it for $15, loaded it up and headed home with excitement.
I did forget to take a before picture:( but just picture the ugliest table you've ever seen and it might come close to how this one looked. 
Here is the after picture: 
It took 3 coats of chalk paint to cover this bad boy, but man does it look amazing now! I actually used a homemade chalk paint. Here is the recipe:
Chalk paint:
1/2 cup plaster of Paris
1/2 cup hot water
•Mix until smooth
•Add 1 1/2 cups of paint color of your choice (I used "bistro white" on the table)
•you will have to stir the paint occasionally so that it won't thicken
• to finish off, you can put polycrylic on it to give it a little bit of a shine


No comments :

Post a Comment